Hannibal Open Tennis Tournament scheduled for first weekend of August

By MIKE THOMAS
Courier-Post Sports Editor
mthomas@courierpost.com
Posted: Jun. 23, 2020 3:16 pm Updated: Jun. 23, 2020 3:19 pm

HANNIBAL | The annual Hannibal Open Tennis Tournament will take place on Aug. 1-2 at the Hannibal High School tennis courts.

The tournament will be a doubles-only format, and will be include for boys, girls, men, women and mixed events. Each participant is limited to entering two events.

“All proceeds and donations will be used to support the Hannibal High School Pirate and Lady Pirate tennis teams,” said tournament organizer Chris Leonard.

Leonard is the tournament director and Jay Johnson will be the head referee for the tournament.

The scoring for the tournament will be two out of three sets, regular scoring with a 10-point super tiebreaker used in lieu of a third set. All participants are expected to comply with the rules and regulations of the USTA Code of Conduct.

There will be an entry fee of $30 per team, or $15 per person for each event entered. Checks should be made payable to Hannibal High School Tennis. The entry deadline will be Tuesday, July 28.

Entry forms and information about the tournament can be found on the Hannibal High School website and at the Hannibal Parks and Recreation Department office.

Tournament organizers will have several safety precautions in place for the event.

“Each participant will have their temperature checked (before competing in the tournament) and hand sanitizer will be provided,” Leonard said. “Social distancing will be encouraged throughout the tournament.”

Participants will need to sign a waiver of liability when signing up. Those under 18 will need a parent or guardian to sign the waiver.

Another requirement is for each team to provide one can of new tennis balls for the tournament.

Last year, no tournament took place. However, the Hannibal Open Tennis Tournament has drawn between 50 to 100 participants in year's past.

“The tournament will be held at Hannibal High School,” Leonard said. “Depending on the number of entries, we might also use the courts at Huckleberry Park.”

Play will begin at 8 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 1 and will continue until all matches are completed on Sunday, Aug. 2. A consolation bracket will be played if the weather permits.

For more information regarding the Hannibal Open Tennis Tournament, contact Leonard at ccleonard27@gmail.com.

In Case You Missed It

City to demolish former South Main Street bar
Structure has been condemned by building inspector; Jaycees offer to pay for demolition work